Part two: Discussion
The second day of the conference was dedicated to discussion in four working groups. Here are the main points that resulted from these group discussions.
Marwa Eddari, Christoph Ibrahim, Katharina Leuenberger, Laurent Rueff, Sonad Rezol, Farid Ait Belkass, Ilias El Mezouari
– Connection: meeting creative people
– Working place
– Information board
– Conferences, events, exhibitions, workshops
– financing support
1) Creative Hub
A place where the creative can gather and work: Co-Working Space for Freelancers because Moroccans like to gather together.
Investors from Morocco and Switzerland, Foundations and Companies as partners that need a flexible amount of work spaces;
Income of Restaurant or Cafe, that is in the space
Romina Häner, Oualid Ayoub, Maha Mouidine, Salomé Bäumlin, Larissa Holaschke, Boujema Boujiha, Mayar Elhayawan
– Goal: Platform for young and emerging creatives, teambuilding of a creative Scene in Morocco
– Offers: Show & Push
– Show: Marketing for young creatives, Show portfolios of Creatives in morocco and worldwide
– Digital: Internet Platform,
– But also analog at Creative Biennales, Events, organize Creative Days in Marrakesh (Marrakesh Design Days/ Open Studio Days or Gathering at one Place (Dar Bellarj)
1) Push: Mentoring Projects and freelancers, Business plan, Workshops and Classes: invoice, tax, creative law/copyright, Support in legal topics
2) Support with Infrastructure: Swapping Skills, Access to new Technologies and Place for Exchange, Library for knowledge of practices, Transdisciplinary oriented
a) In 1 Year
found 3-5 people who are into it and want do develop something and started to form a network with creatives having a first show and sharing the spirit of the collective (even a small Poster show), important to establish the show as something for everyone, not only for the upper class and art interested people
b) In 5 Years
– Network, Exhibitions
– Co-Working Space in Marrakech that serves as a local Platform for exchanging skills
c) In 10 Years challenges
– Don’t exclude the lower/middle class
– See design not only as handcrafts, that cost a fortune
– But also as industrial products for daily life
– Talking not only about design, also including various creative industries
Rebecca Zesiger, Khalid Najah, Meriem Berrada, Katharina Tietze, Florence Robert
what is important, what are the aims? Wanting to build a community, where to share knowledge and know-how. Be aware of the culture of the others, through travelling and exploring.
Sharing plattform: Ensemble – Empowering our creative industries together
– Duration: 1 year programs
– Topic changes every year (Year 1: Rugs)
– Ethnography is important
– Based on sharing skills and knowledge
– Manifesto is very important to define and to see this as the base for the 1 year research part
– Its focused on the project, not the result.
– Working with materials (copper, ceramics), as a good base for exchange
Reflection about the communication between the cultures:
– other formats: teaching projects
– importance of travelling and exchange between the partners
Alexandra Rüegg, Ayoub Lahnoud, Chaymae Ejjakheh, Andrea Wolf-Simone, Issam Qabbou, Zineb Haddaji, Jana Eske, Amine Rhefir, Zouheir Nciri
What does the Design Industry make wrong and doesn’t make itself successful now?
"Everywhere is support when you compare it to European Systems of Creative Industries. Art Education, Craftmanship (preserving history and tradition), Commercial Enterprises, Public Institutions (support is very low here in Morocco, needs lobbying, sensitize politicians and decision makers)."
"Cultural Field (Through Events, Festivals, ...) that gives visibility to the design industry."
"How to address education in the public that doesn’t know much about art & design?"
"Interested in the main public, in the popular one."
"Invading the world with an army of creatives on the internet
Every Month, a community over the internet/ a web event takes place / a monthly call for artists." (Ayoub)
"To show the moroccon Point of View of the world / strengthen a morocco vision (eg.g. how would the Eiffel tower look like when morocco has colonized France?)"
"Limitations of graphic design due to the French language
How to reach the mass public with graphic design?" (Alex)
"Small interventions in daily life (t-Shirts, bags etc. With print “so rich” (rich culture/ class separation of French rich eg.)"
"Youtube-Channel that explains creative industry in a very easy and understandable way «for dummies». Video is a powerful tool, easy to access, reached the lower class (reference: VOX news USA, short Videos about complex things for everyone)"
"Link between craftsmanship, design, public, and to add ecology"
"How to empower local small stores; to help the poor one as an example «beautify» the stores, to add value to the businesses; creating a wave of lifting the shops (from a perspective: everything is designed, let the designers do the interior design, not leave it subject to the circumstances that build up a small store)"